Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Have you ever been given a sewing tip that changes everything?

While working on a dress yesterday, I was thinking about sewing skills, and the tips and tricks I've learned along the way. I think one of the most useful tips I've ever received was about easing in a sleeve.

I hate easing in sleeves, but I get better at them with every attempt. That's partially because of a tip passed on by Steph from 3 Hours Past the Edge of the World.

After whining about my various failed attempts, Steph suggested that I put the side of the fabric to be eased down against the feed dogs to prevent bunching and help ease the fabric. That...wasn't...how I'd be doing it previously. I think about this tip every time I have to ease in fabric now. Such a little thing, but it makes a world of difference.

Thanks Steph, for the great sewing tip! It's been immensely helpful in my ongoing war against sleeves!

I think that this shared bank of knowledge is one of the things I love best about the online sewing community. Everyone is so supportive and helpful, and it makes sewing so much more enjoyable.

Do you have a favourite or useful tip that you're glad to have learned? Is there anyone who has passed on a great tip to you, however obvious or simple?

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for passing this tip along - I just learned the correct way to ease in sleeves - but this is a great tip to add to that knowledge! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Putting the fabric layer to be eased down against the feed dogs helps because the underside layer tends to be pulled along more than the upper layer, which gets dragged against the foot. This helps in easing a larger piece of fabric against a shorter piece.

    I'm glad to pass this tiny tid-bit on. It really is the little things! I like sharing the stuff that I learn. I think I need to do more of it, partially because I learn things the hard way all the time, and partially because I have the memory of a sieve and need constant reminders. (This means that I learn things the hard way over and over again. lol!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks like a great idea an I can see how it would help - I'll try that next time I set in a sleeve! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yup, that IS a good tip :). I'm trying to come up with my favourite tip I've gotten but I can't settle on just one. So many little things that all add up...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooo I have filed that tip away in my brain for retrieval at the right moment. Hah yeah right, actually its written in my little book cos my brain isn't reliable these days!

    When sewing stretch tops my mum gave me a tip I use all the time. Mark the shoulder etc per the pattern notches as normal. Also divide the sleeve cap into equal quarters and mark each quarter point with a pin. Do the same for the armhole (can't think of the right word but you know what I mean). The quarter points serve as a great check point for pinning the sleeve in and when you sew it particularly for very stretchy fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw, thanks. Every time I ease, I think of my fellow-teacher Di who taught that to me to begin with... It's all a chain... ;)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...