Monday, October 29, 2012

Nalu Fingerless Mitts

Took me nearly a month, but look at the fingerless mitts I just finished blocking!  I'm super proud of the result, and itching to keep them for myself.  Alas, they'll probably be a gift for my Step-Sister, who just started a new office job and, I predict, will freeze to death sitting in front of the computer.  These should help keep Ms. I'm-Always-Cold a bit warmer while letting her type on the computer.

I LOVE the stitch definition. So lovely.
The pattern is the Nalu Mitts created by Leila Raabe (link goes to Ravelry), and I absolutely adore this pattern.  So pretty and detailed, but still simple and elegant.  And she offered the pattern up for free, which is always a bonus in my books!

I used Cascade 220 wool yarn for this, which is worsted weight.  For those who don't know much about yarn, they come in different 'weights' or thicknesses; much like fabric.  The weight of the yarn will help determine the gauge (stitches per inch) of the finished fabric.  Think of it like the fabric you buy: the finer the fibre, the smoother the fabric; the thicker the fibre, the more 'coarse' the fabric (and by coarse I mean the more you can see the details in the weave of knit - think cotton twill vs. fine silk).  Tension and needle size also plays an important roll in stitch size. 

But that is for a different post.
Anyways, the point I was getting to with the yarn weight is that the yarn I chose is actually heavier than the pattern called for (DK or double knit - for those who like these sort of details), so I made up some mods along the way to make sure the mitts didn't turn out too large.  I actually detailed the mods over on my ravelry project page if you're intersted in checking it out (should be accessible for anyone following this link), but it mostly consisted of decreasing the amount of stitches and tightening up my tension.


They fit quite snugly when I finished them, and since I consider myself having medium-sized hands (man, are hand sizes ever abritrary - pain in the butt to work out), I figured they'd work out just fine for my smaller-handed Step-Sister.  Then I blocked them to help define the pattern, and they came out a bit larger.  They still fit me really well, but I suspect they'll be too big for their recipient.

If I hadn't had to pull each of these mitts back umpteen-bajillion times before I finally got them finished, I'd be tempted to keep these and make a new pair for the Sis.  But I guess we'll see.  They may be fine, and I'm probably just making excuses to keep them, because hello pretty mitts, you're even in my favourite colour!

This project is the first time I've used a chart (different coloured blocks or symbols to indicate different stitches).  The pattern only charted the detailed section on the back of the hand, but I kept getting lost when it was time to do the increases around the thumb gore.  After pulling the project back 3 or 4 times for that reason alone, I chose to just sit down and chart the whole thing out in Excel.  It worked out really good, and I could highlite what rows I'd finished to keep track.  Definitely something to keep in mind for complicated patterns in the future.  Time consuming to do, but infinitely helpful to refer to, especially when you put the project aside for a while and need a reminder where you are.

So there we have it, another Christmas present (hopefully) done.  Many, many more to go.

*~~*~~*

To those not interested in the knitting projects, rest asure I am working on a sewing project.  Or rather, tracing a sewing pattern.  Got a couple more pieces traced this afternoon, and will hopefully finish it up tonight.  I really do need to muslin this pattern though because I don't know anything about the fit of Burda patterns, and my own shape has changed since the last time I sewed something for myself.  Stay tuned for those posts. 

And also for other knitting projects, because boy have I been knitting!

4 comments:

  1. They're fantastic!!! I love the pattern, it's so cool! Ya know... if you made a 2nd pair - smaller for the SIL - it wouldn't take as long, then you could keep these for yourself! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My thoughts exactly! But I have a long list of gifts to finish up, so the potential second pair will have to wait a bit. Still, they look pretty awesome on my hands... :D

      Delete
  2. They are fantastic! I am becoming more and more convinced I need to learn to knit thanks to you. I just love these. I am thinking of taking the Craftsy beginning knit class to try it... What do you think? Or is it something I would need to learn live?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DOOO EEETTT!

      My Grandma initially taught me when I was about 8, but I didn't really touch it again until this past summer (oh cripes, 23 years later). After crocheting for that entire interval though, yarn manipulation is pretty easy to me, and I managed to pick it up again with a couple online tutorials. I think a Craftsy class might be really helpful, but it'd also be good to meet some knitters to get some help live as well.

      If you check out Ravlery (you'll need to sign up though), I'm sure you can find out about a knit and bitch meet up in your area. Knitters are always eager to help newbies! :D

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...