Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Re-Fashion Contest: Planning and Original Items

Challenge Contest 2012 - Refashion / Repurpose
Look what I did.

Okay, I know I haven't been blogging much and sewing even less, but I'm determined to do this!  I really want to make this Burda jacket I blogged about a while ago:

And I just happened to find these two thrifted jackets:


 
LOOK, A DANIER LEATHER JACKET!!!  It's knee length and nearly fits me.  I'd leave it as is except that there's some wear and damage in some areas and the button holes are stretched out.  Found it at a garage sale raising money for a child's cancer treatments.  It was by donation, so of course I emptied my wallet for the jacket.  Think I paid about $25 bucks for it, and I probably would've paid more if there was anything left in my wallet.  Even so, I have no quams with cutting it up!

I found the Nygard wool jacket for about $6 at our (awful) Salvation Army thrift shop.  I didn't realize until I got home that it smelled like it'd been in a house fire, and after a couple washes it took a 12 hour soak in very soapy water to get the smokey smell out.  Definitely a stubborn making-do moment.

I even started tracing out the pattern from the September Burda issue.

Uh...I got the two sleeve sections traced.  It took 2 hours.  I can't find any other pieces...  Um, I'm really glad I have a couple more weeks to get this all traced out.  ...Maybe I should just make a wool and leather stuffed guitar...

Anyways, that's my plan for the refashion contest!  I need to figure out a lining fabric still, and pick up a metal zipper, and decide what colour I'm going to do the hand stitching in (because I'm totally including that part).  I'm leaning toward blue or burgundy, just for some colour.  Or just a cream. What do you think?

*~*~*

This picture is actual for Tanit-Isis.  It's the back of the leather jacket (see what I mean about the wear on the left hip there?).  I'm including it because the amazing full-length coat she sewed for her husband was damaged when it got stuck in the back wheel of his motorcycle.  Luckily he wasn't hurt, but the back got ripped off.  Also luckily, it's only the one side, and ends at about the hip.

When I was taking pictures of this jacket, I noticed the seamline across the hip (done because it's difficult to get large pieces of leather), and I thought it might be a possible fix for Mr. Isis's coat.  Not as pretty as a continuous piece, but a possible way to keep the coat length.  If, of course, she has anymore fabric...  I figured I'd share it anyways.  :)

7 comments:

  1. Looks really good Heather, I can't wait to see the finished project! Those jackets look nice and big too, its surprising how much fabric a refashion will use! I've always eyed off the jackets at the thrift shops but never thought of using more than one to refashion, so thankyou!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well like you said, you can always make a stuffed guitar! I did not get your joke until I looked at the pattern sheet again.
    I would go nuts trying to trace a Burda pattern.
    I am looking forward to your finished product.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy cow, that pattern is total craziness!

    That leather jacket is the perfect find for this challenge - can't wait to see your progress!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, great idea!
    I'm excited to see how it turns out.

    Thanks for the link and the thought! That's actually most likely what I will do, when I can bear to look at the damn thing again. Main problem being, although I do have some fabric left, I had actually merged two similar fabrics for the coat, and I'm not sure I have BOTH left. Although looking at your jacket I'm tempted to make a contrast panel out of black satin or something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember someone else mentioning adding a seam, and I thought seeing how it looks on a real coat might help a bit. Could you put in some sort of built-in belt along the seamline? That might help break up the area to hide and contrast between the fabric.

      Good luck working it out (when you're reading to look at it without crying, that is).

      Delete
  5. Take a look along the edge of the Burda pattern sheet and find the number of your pattern. Follow those numbers straight into the pattern maze to find the other pieces you need. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aha, thank you. I was hoping to buy a copy of this pattern at my local fabric shop, but they don't stock it. So now I need to trace it, and I appreciate the advice! :D

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...