I used to love the idea of the casual professional look - cute skirts and neat blouses, nice jackets to layer over-top, and kitten-heels. But that's just not practical with my life right now, and I've felt a little disconnected from my wardrobe ever since moving to the Yukon.
See, everything is more...casual...up here. You don't really see many people booting around in skirts and dresses, and it's not really practical for most people's lifestyle. Not practical for the lifestyle I'm starting to live. Don't get me wrong, I still like a good skirt or dress (i.e. my Tiramisu - perfection!) for coffee with friends or a day wandering downtown. But in general, this is very much a practical jeans and t-shirt kind of place. Or at least, the parts of it that I live in. Plus my boyfriend lives in the tattered carharts he wears to work, the ones with the caulking and paint and perpectual cloud of sawdust. I feel overdressed in my pj's next to him somedays.
And there's the fact that I spend half of the month in a mining camp (well, most of the time). It's not practical to have two different types of wardrobe - one for in-camp and one for in-town, and I think I'd feel a little spastic if I tried to dress drastically different 2 weeks at a time. I need stuff that can transition between the two - practical, hard-wearing and not-at-all-cleavagey for in camp, but stuff that'll still look decent for booting around town, chilling with friends, and the occassional road-trip around the territory.
Basically, I think I need good basics that can work in camp, but that I can accessorize for in-town (think scarves, non-camp cardis, etc.). And I really need pants.
Here's the basic rundown of where I want to direct my wardrobe toward:
- I am definitely a cardigan girl. I like to layer things, and cardis are great for this. NEED MORE CARDIS.
- That said, I need things to go underneath the cardis. T-shirts, tank tops, simple garments that are light-weight, but have a touch of interest on their own. Basic tops for under more inticate cardigans, colourful (possibly small-print floral and other cute prints) for under basic cardis, etc.
- PANTS OMG I NEED PANTS.
- I'd still like to include a good basic skirt or two. Because sometimes you just need to wear one. I really like the simplicity of Cake's Hummingbird skirt.
- Same goes with dresses. I LOVE my Tiramisu. I wouldn't mind something similar with a more simple bodice - perhaps a Hummingmisu dress?
- And of course, accessories. I have a few scarf ideas flowing through my head, and lots of yarn to do it. Nothing too lacy and fancy, but some pieces that have some cute design details or textural features. I love wearing scarves, I just don't have many that I like enough. Possibly I need to knit up that pretty skein of yarn in the middle, since hello colour inspiration! Also, I want a new hobo bag for tossing my wallet, kobo, books, notebooks, and my latest knit projects into for my afternoons sitting in coffee shops like an unemployed bum.
Okay, back to work. I might be procrastinating from finishing up stuff on my last day in camp. Hehe oops.