my entry for the Refashion contest over at PR, and taking a whole whack of pictures. I'm serious, a Whole Whack of them. I'm going to share all the fun I've had with taking apart and cutting out pattern pieces from this leather coat
I noticed a lot of neat things about this jacket while taking it apart. Some are design features, other are construction methods, and I thought I'd share some of my favourites here.
corduroy jacket's welt pockets, but it's nice to see a good example of how such a little detail can make such a difference. Especially if your pocket lining material is bright.
You can also see how they topstitched the horizontal seamlines and left the vertical seams alone. This tends to emphasize the horizontal seams and lets the vertical seams disappear a bit more, which helps prevent a patch-quilt sort of look
Except there wasn't enough space to cut the facings directly from the jacket. I'd have to patch it.
|Hacked off the pocket section|
|Used binder clips to hold leather pieces together (can't pin leather or else the pin marks would be noticeable)|
|Try to line up vertical seamline|
|Stitch, then trim and glue down seam allowance|
|Topstitch on either side of seamline|
|Notice afteward that your vertical seamline weren't aligned. Give up and cut out facing piece|
Of course, then I messed up.
The biggest problem was that getting all the pieces I needed was going to be tight as it was. I actually had to walk away from this all for a couple days because of how upset I was.
This leather, btw, is beautiful to work with. I've been using size 12 sharp needles instead of leather needles, and there hasn't been any problems. Well, there was one, but I'll talk about that in a sec.
I then stitched the front panel and facing together. I don't have pics here right now, but I had two problems with this:
- The seam curves a bit inward at the top and bottom, so the whole front line of the jacket looks a bit curved. I decided that I can live with this, because unpicking leather is hard.
- I chose to topstitch along the edge of this seam, and I broke a needle half way going over the fankensteined facing seamlines. Oh well, I'll just use a stronger needle next time.
I forgot to mention, but before stitching everything together, I decided to freshen up the leather a bit. Many internet sources suggested using a mix of lemon juice and olive oil, so I did just that. The lemon juice cleaned the leather, and the oil added moisture. The test strip above was taken from directly adjacent to the piece it's laying over, and you can see the difference it made!
I'm a bit proud of how I've managed to use up all the material from these jackets! Let's hope that the final result turns out. If it doesn't though, I've learned a heck of a lot on this project. :)
If you managed to get through this extremely long post, thanks so much for your patience! I didn't realize it would be such a beast until I was half-way through it.